Friday 11 March 2016

All we are is dust in the wind... Dust... Wind...

First "real" tournament style practice last night against High Elves with my Vamps.

In short, brutal. When I arrived, my opponent had already laid out his army, I knew I was in for a tough night as soon as I looked across at a Lord on Star Dragon, 2 Frostheart Pheonixes, an L4 Mage in a Silverhelm bunker and pain in the backside Eagles & Reavers making up the numbers.

Oh, and a small archer bunker with his 2nd mage.

Vamp Lord about to crumble
Hmm, Lady Genevieve is going to hurt...

I was rocking a similar list to the Skaven encounter - with a few tweaks, dropped the dogs and a spirit host to get my L1s up to L2 wizards, other than that I was ethereal plus ghouls, skellies, and a small zombie pile.

It went wrong from the vanguard phase... Foolishly left my Hexwraiths exposed to the first Pheonix, with my single spirit host behind - he had first turn, lost my ethereal flank by the end of my first turn (ouch). I got lucky as my opponent fluffed not 1 but 2 Purple Suns, almost destroying his Silverhelms in 2 turns - my Terrorgheist took out the rest.

Turn 2 I lost Genevieve to a combi-charge from the dragon and the first Pheonix, followed in close order by my 'gheist, from there I survived 3 turns of crumble as he slowly waded through my army.

In the end it was a thumping 20-1 on tourney scoring (I would have broken him back if only I could have taken the last wound off his Lord, that would have got me about 600 more points for a bit more respectability).

Highlights: 
  • Watching the 2nd Purple Sun miscast drop his L4 to L1, forgetting all his offensive spells.
  • 3 zombies tying combat with an eagle
  • A single corpse cart holding up the 2nd pheonix for 2 combat phases
  • Surviving 3 turns of crumble for the loss of 7 models
Lowlights: 
  • Magic, I got a single Invocation off in the whole game, and 1 hellish vigour... that was it
  • Sacrificing Genevieve to save the 'gheist for one turn
  • Vanguarding the Hexwraiths straight into trouble
  • Having to remove the Hexwraiths in turn 1 again
Lessons learned:
  • Don't throw Genevieve against characters, she's a unit killer
  • Don't vangaurd the hexwraiths, use the move to redeploy them
  • Need to try a few dirty tournament tricks - move the general to Kriersdorf rather Genevieve by running her on Death or Shadow
  • Get those morghasts built and field the wraiths as heroes

Next up, not sure, a week or 2 of painting before Fall of the Old World 2, if it's happening...

No comments: