Friday 26 February 2016

The Dead march on...

Last night I rolled out the VC at 2400pts for a first run out. With a month or so until Fall of the old World 2 and 5-6wks until Storm Over Stirling and no experience of running Vamps, I thought it was time to get some practice in.

Lined up for battle:

Lady Genevieve, her Cursed Sister, & Drippy the Terrorgheist
Lady Genevieve, her Cursed Sister, & Drippy the Terrorgheist
The Shambling Masses next to a graveyard
The Shambling Masses next to a graveyard
Hexwraiths & Dire Wolves
The Vanguard didn't last long...


My opponent ran a blocky Skaven army with a penchant for weapons teams (which almost did me in by the end of Turn 1!), the usual tricks to prevent flying were a royal pain in my a**e, and Skaven magical shooting tore big chunks out of my army - the Hexwraiths, Cairn Wraiths, Dire Wolves and a Spirit Host were all hammered in turns 1 and 2, luckily my opponents fear of Hexwraiths let the Terrorgheist survive most of the game.

It was a bloody encounter, I took a pasting in the first couple of turns, but once the Vamp got into combat and the 'gheist got in behind his lines, I made my come-back.

In the end it was a draw (I shaded it by around 200pts, not enough for a minor victory).

Highlights: 
  • Skaven Slaves passing every terror test and even wounding the 'gheist.
  • 3 Rat ogres bouncing off my skeletons and getting run down
  • Wrecking a massive Stormvermin unit inc. Grey Seer & BSB with only 3 Crypt Horrors and the Vamp Lord
  • Wind of Death - that spell is brutal
  • Terrorgheist screaming a Warp Lightning Cannon to death
Lowlights: 
  • Misreading the rules on Invocation and failing to raise anything like enough casualties back
  • Seeing my L1 vamp turned into a toad by the hex scroll
  • Not rolling up Vanhels
  • Having to remove the Hexwraiths before they even moved
Lessons learned:
  • Read the spells properly
  • Don't split deployment
  • Try and take fewer, larger units - need to go first in the face of weapons teams.

Next up, High Elves, the same HE that I tabled last week with Hirad's Warrior of Chaos.... I suspect not so easy with Vamps, especially as he's bringing his SOS list...

2 comments:

Positive Oldhammer chap said...

Looking good! Is Genevieve THE Genevieve?

I love the descriptions of the game. I love the story every game of WFB tells, with units unexpectedly holding or running, monsters bouncing from infantry etc. Tomorrow I'm starting to teach a friend to paint and will be enthusing about the greatness of Warhammer to her, so this is good inspiration! #NoAoS

Oh, it's Matt Charman by the way!

Iainspired said...

The slaves were hilarious - passing fear and terror tests like nothing, while his clanrats ran anytime they had the option and his rat ogres spent 5 turns scratching their arses. I didn't read invocation properly, so was a lot less effective at raising troops than I should have been. A lot of fun though.

Limited as his shooting was, with it all being magical, it hurt!

And aye, inspired by THE Genevieve and her Bretonnian heritage ☺